The Programmer’s Return: Taijutsu

When I first began preparing for the Flatiron School, I learned quickly to avoid max volume on my headphones when watching instructional videos. Programming requires that you spend a great deal of time in Terminal — which is a powerful interface built into your Mac that allow you to manipulate code, create files, yatta yatch.

Terminal reacts to set commands. As a basic example the command puts “Hello” returns “Hello”. The way Terminal works is that you type in the command and nothing happens, until you hit return (aka enter). Pressing enter evaluates whatever command you’ve setup and returns the appropriate response.

In more elaborate situations it is the feedback from the computer to let you know all the wonderful logic you just typed up does indeed equate to what you expected all along.

Additionally, consider this gif used on Learn.co to express a common misconception about programming:

Plainly, that as a programmer you spend 90% reading through code, following the logic. The remaining 10% of your time is actually spent manipulating it.

I think this is the unifying and underlying frustration that leads to The Programmer’s Return — the abnormal cubic force used to slam down the return key. If you watch any programming tutorial listen for the explosion that happens every time they press enter. It is the deafening result of programming mastery.

Many job interviewers will come equipped with tiny but dense rubber bands — requiring programmers to straddle their right pinky into the constraint in order to prove how effective they are at coding.

You’re Welcome!

~ تمام شده ~